MIICO and Rikolto East Africa have secured funding from European Union (EU) under AGRI-CONNECT programme for a 4-year horticultural programme in Tanzania. The programme aims to improve and increase market competitiveness in the sector supplying both domestic and international markets. The programme is running since June 2020 and will end in May 2024 covering the Southern Highlands of Tanzania focusing on 5 regions, namely Iringa, Katavi, Njombe, Mbeya and Songwe. The programme is currently looking to recruit two competent Horticulture Agronomists/ Agribusiness Officers who will be responsible for coordinating and supervising the interventions aiming at improving smallholder farmers access to Business Development Services (BDS), particularly agronomic/extensions, inputs and farming technologies in three target regions of Mbeya, Songwe and Katavi. He or she will work closely with private companies providing extensions/inputs, farmer business organisations and local government authorities.
He/she will be responsible for brokering the business relationship between the private companies BDS who are providing agronomic support across the regions the target regions. He/she will report directly to MIICO Head of Programs and indirect report to Rikolto Agribusiness Advisor based in Mbeya/Katavi. In addition to the specific tasks stated below, he/she is expected to contribute fully as a program team member, properly always conducting him/herself as a representative of the program and being responsible for the safe-keeping and care of all program assets assigned to him/her. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the identification of regional constraints and opportunities within the horticulture value chain as well as relevant stakeholders
- Drive market linkages and relationship building between regional stakeholders to stimulate the supply of inputs, technology adoption, financing, service provision and value addition
- Provide technical support and management of field demonstrations within the regions through site visits to ensure the performance of established horticulture demonstration plots and supervise local coaches/lead farmers
- Take lead in campaign to control outbreaks of pests and diseases like Tuta Absoluta (Kantangaze) in horticulture value chains by collaborating with other private and government agencies
- Provide regular feedback to the MIICO Head of Program and Rikolto Agribusiness Advisor on ongoing field activities and suggest ways to improve the operations.
- Provide training and technical assistance to local coaches and peer facilitators (CHWs) for all field technical matters.
- Collaborate and support the programme nutritionist with the establishment of Home Gardens by taking lead in the design and management of established home gardens.
- Collaborate and support the programme nutritionist on production and management of traditional vegetable quality declared seeds
- Coordinate and organise farmer field days and learning visits/exposure and ensure programme visibility through events like Nane Nane, Saba Saba etc.
- Take lead in the development of technical and training materials for farmer training, workshops, marketing/trade events and other activities.
- Provide input for work plans and budgets, quarterly and monthly reports, program success stories, farmer stories etc., as required.
- Perform any other duties as may be required by your supervisor.
Key Qualifications & Characteristics:
- Degree/Diploma level in Horticulture/Agronomy/General Agriculture/Agri-business or related fields.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in agriculture development programme where specific experience in programme focusing in horticulture sector development will be advantage.
- Ability to provide training and extension services to farmer groups and peer facilitators/lead farmers.
- Knowledge and experience on engaging private sector and public extensionist in providing services to farmers and their organisations.
- Computer knowledge.
- Physically fit and capable of a demanding work schedule in the field.
- Ability to work independently without close direct supervision.
- Honest and responsible work ethics.
Qualified candidates invited to submit their applications by including the following
- Cover letter describing your qualifications for the position
- CV with three recent referees
Send your application via email to miico_cons [at] yahoo.com with eastafrica [at] rikolto.org in copy by 30th September 2021 and indicate “Agronomist AGRI-CONNECT” in the subject line.